Monday 15 June 2009

Python 2.6.2 and Pygame 1.8.1

After an unfortunate incident with Ubuntu Jaunty, I am back to a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid. I still have most of my user folder, but I have to reinstall everything. And I'll probably have to do it again. This blog is to keep a record of what I had to install.

First up, Python 2.6 and Pygame, because I have a little project that is dependent on both. There's no package for Python 2.6 in Intrepid, so I'm installing from source. As far as I can tell there's no risk of upsetting anything else on the system so long as you don't replace the /usr/bin/python symlink.

Getting the source
Python 2.6.2: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/Python-2.6.2.tgz
Pygame 1.8.1: http://www.pygame.org/ftp/pygame-1.8.1release.tar.gz

Getting dependencies for Python
sudo apt-get build-dep python2.5
sudo apt-get install tk8.5-dev


Dependencies for Pygame
sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev


Build and install Python
tar -xvf Python-2.6.2.tgz
cd Python-2.6.2/
./configure
make
sudo make altinstall
cd ..


Build and install Pygame
tar -xvf pygame-1.8.1release.tar.gz
cd pygame-1.8.1release/
sudo python2.6 setup.py install
cd ..

No comments:

Post a Comment